We can all relax now that Christmas is over. It was a great holiday season for me and I hope you and your family enjoyed the season as well. I for sure will miss the incredible Christmas piano playlist on Spotify and the gorgeous lights around the house but it'll be nice to save some money in the New Year and feel like I can finally relax.
This Christmas was a low-key one for my family and I. We enjoyed a lazy morning, a delicious breakfast and a slow day of unwrapping a handful of gifts we each had on our lists. I was especially last minute with my shopping this year but managed to purchase everything just in time for the 25th. I'll have to remind myself of this post come next November!
This Christmas season all in all was great though! Sometimes I find it tough to enjoy December as a college student with so many finals and papers due. I feel like for the first fifteen days I barely even know it was Christmastime because I spent long days studying and even wedged in a few all nighters towards finals week. I think that's one of the main reasons why my shopping was done so late.
Once I wrapped up finals and headed home for break however, the holidays kicked off with the 2nd Annual Smith Christmas Party. Our house was bustling with family and friends new and old and many memories were made. I wore these pants from SheInside and a tinsel sweater I purchased last year from Forever 21. This is a similar one! I styled the outfit with a pair of black suede sock boot block heels (on sale!!).
This year for Christmas I didn't ask for much. Typically, when I see something that I love I buy it then and there or whenever my next paycheck shows up in my bank account 😂. This year I asked for a pair of Chelsea Hunter rain boots and a Barbour Beadnell Wax Jacket. I was really excited to see both goodies under the tree for me this year. My sisters were really sweet and gifted me with a few gifts as well. I shared all gifts below and shared a few details of why I love them so much.
1. J. Crew PolarTec Half Zip - HALF OFF! This was my Christmas gift to myself and I've shared it ever since it arrived in the mail several weeks back. This half-zip was on the top of my wishlist because of the classic navy and white combo that can be styled fall through spring and the zipper pockets. You don't see too many stylish pullovers with roomy pockets for your phone and a few cards.
2. Gelato 3-Wick Candle - My little sister, Libbie, gifted me a strawberry mimosa candle from Bath and Body Works and the Gelato seemed to be the only strawberry scented one online, which is why I linked that instead. I have always been a strawberry lover and this mix of strawberry and crisp champagne will lighten up my bedroom after burring evergreen candles for the past three months.
3. DryBar Full Size Faves - My oldest sister, Leslie, gifted me this gift set of DryBar styling products and I've already put it to good use. This box comes with dry shampoo, detangle spray and a texturizing spray. Not only is this box set a steal but the products work wonders. I blow-dry my hair every time I wash it so I know the detangle spray will come to be of great use as well as the dry shampoo for days I don't wash my hair. The products don’t have a distinct flavor smell, but just smell clean and fresh.
4. Ruffle Hem Turtleneck - This purchase was an exchange from a gift my sister Lisa gave me. She ended up giving me a gold necklace but I was in search of a well-fitting ribbed black turtleneck and the two were the same price, so after asking permission she allowed for me to make the swap. This ruffle hem top has a perfect girly touch but will remain a steadfast closet classic for the winter. It comes in several colors and runs true to size.
5. Barbour Beadnell Wax Jacket - This was one of two gifts I asked for this Christmas. My mom swears by Barbour jackets but I always thought they were so expensive that I never dared asking for one. This Christmas I ended up asking for one because I realized I don't have a nice coat, I only have a parka jacket. These jackets are durable and outfitted with many pockets. It can be styled with an oversized sweater, leggings and sneakers or jeans, a nice blouse and a great pair of boots. I asked for the navy one because I wear a ton of navy and thought it would be a little more exciting than black. Also, the inside of the navy comes with brown plaid instead of grey, like the black does.
6. Small Gold Hoops - Mark my words, these are the next trend. Small tube hoops have been popping up all over Instagram and YouTube and I treated myself to this pair from Madewell. These are so affordable and are on par with current accessory trends. They're lightweight, trendy but still classic, and match my other gold jewelry.
7. Chelsea Hunter Boots - This was the second item on my wishlist this year. I already have a pair of black tall Hunter boots but they are so heavyon my legs. I have skinny legs so even Hunter boots that are known for notoriously skinny calf measurements, are way too big for my legs (even with a boot sock). It was hard for me to wear them and walk around campus all day. Literally it felt like wearing weights on my legs and maybe it's a sign I need to hit the gym. These Chelsea Hunter boots are the exact same Hunter boots, just with the leg chopped right above the ankle bone. They look fabulous styled with black and navy denim, leggings, and a thick boot sock. I can't wait for it to rain so I can wear them 😅.
8. Medium Gold Hoops - This year I was converted into a hoop earring girl and these hoops are also from Madewell like the other two pairs I own. I think you can dress any outfit up with a pair of hoops. These aren't too big to be inappropriate with casual outfits but they do say "I put effort into my appearance today”. I already see myself wearing these to class with leggings, a sweatshirt and cute pair of boots or a cute sneaker.
9. 9" High-Rise York Wash Jeans - This was a gift I purchased for myself with a gift card in my stocking. I was in desperate need of a new pair of jeans and I wasn't going to resort to my same old tricks of purchasing a pair of cheap jeans and putting off my denim issues again. I purchased these 9” high rise jeans from Madewell in the York Wash. These jeans are high-waisted and have a zipper fly (I hate the button fly). I love the unique, but not distracting hem they have and the distressed finish without having actual rips in them. They are also currently on sale (!!!) and well-within your price range. They have a 28 1/2" inseam and fit true to size. If you go into the store to try them on, if they're a little snug it's okay! Madewell jeans tend to give a little in the waist after a few wears.